You are here
Home > Regional & International News > Antigua’s PM announces 24-hour lockdown

Antigua’s PM announces 24-hour lockdown

Antigua & Barbuda Prime Minister, Gaston Browne on Tuesday announced a 24-hour curfew for the next seven days beginning on Thursday after berating the people of Antigua and Barbuda of not taking seriously the threats posed by the coronavirus (COVID-19) that has killed more than 40000 people worldwide. Browne, who sought parliamentary approval for the state of emergency that was announced over the last weekend, said the SOE would remain in effect for the next 60 days but could be extended if the virus continues to exist. He told legislators that he was disappointed that many people had, despite the ten-hour curfew announced last week, were continuing to congregate, go on the beach limes as well as gather at various places, dismissing the social distancing measures to prevent the spread of the virus. Browne warned Antigua and Barbuda to be prepared for a significant increase in the number of positive cases here, adding that over the next two weeks, the island could record as many as 1000 cases based on the various international models using the present tens cases on the island.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top
%d bloggers like this: