For two households in Newtown Kitty, the peace of Easter morning was shattered by an early morning fire. At around 9:30h flames ignited a house situated at Lot 149 D`Anrade Street. The fire quickly spread from one wooden structure to the attached dwelling of another family. Annette Heywood a mother of eight, said she had just returned from working the night shift as a security guard. She had just made breakfast for her kids and retired to bed when the fire started.
While some of the residents were too distraught to speak, others explained they have lost everything since the blaze engulfed the home so quickly.
The fire left 15 persons homeless. Fire Chief Marlon Gentle said they were able to put out the blaze without anyone being injured or any other buildings being destroyed. The fire is still of unknown origin. Nevertheless, an investigation has been launched.