Rescuers in the Philippines are digging through mud to retrieve bodies buried by a landslide CAUSED BY Typhoon Mangkhut. At least 32 people in the mining town of Itogon, in Benguet province, have been confirmed dead. Teams are digging through the rubble with their bare hands, passing blocks of concrete and pieces of wood down a 50ft line to clear the area. Typhoon Mangkhut is now weakening over southern China. Four people were killed in the province of Guangdong – three by falling trees.
The storm ploughed across the main Philippine island of Luzon over the weekend. More than 60 people have been killed, mostly in landslides triggered by heavy rains, with the majority in Benguet province.
A group of artisanal gold miners in the village of Ucab, which lies in a valley in Itogon municipality, had huddled with their families in a two-story shelter, Conrad Navidad of the International Organization for Migration told the BBC. The building was crushed, and 29 people remain missing.
“It was used as a worship area for the church group of the mine workers and their families,” said Mr. Navidad, who was at the scene earlier on Monday. “Before the typhoon hit, their pastor invited them to take refuge in that bunkhouse – and then the disaster happened and they were buried by the landslide.